Acclaimed as a litigation powerhouse, Mosimann-Horn have a long record of outstanding results. Both Chambers and Partners and Leaders League ranks Mosimann-Horn as one of
the best dispute resolution firms in the country.
We have tried cases and argued appeals before the Brazilian Superior Courts and federal and state courts across the country involving almost every foreseeable area of controversy.
THE CORE OF THE FIRM’S PRACTICE
Whether in the courtroom, at the bargaining table, or by helping clients avoid risks without litigation, Mosimann-Horn has a long and proven track record of generating successful results for clients in their most high-stakes cases.
The firm is also familiar with dispute resolution techniques, including arbitration and mediation. In addition, the conduct of dispute resolution, at every stage, is done in full and close consultation with our clients.
Recent litigation cases:
- Represented the entrepreneurs in a well known landmark case in Brazil, in which the Federal Prosecution Service has sought for compensation due to alleged environmental damage and also the demolition of beach clubs located at one of the main beaches in Florianópolis.
- Representing one of the main Brazilian companies of the sanitation sector, the firm obtained a court decision that allowed the company’s participation in a bidding process aimed to grant a concession for water supply and treatment in an important brazilian city for the period of 30 years, generating an outcome of three hundred million dollars.
- Representing an important national federation, the firm obtained an important victory for the real estate sector at the Brazilian High Federal Court – STJ (Superior Tribunal
de Justiça). The ruling on the leading case EREsp 566.633/CE stated that every security shall continue to be held and enforceable, under lease contracts that become renewed for an undetermined length of time, if provided in the agreement.
- Representing one of the greatest retailers in Brazil, the firm prevented the Brazilian Revenue Service from charging the ICMS (a Brazilian tax on goods and services, e.g. IVA) on extended guarantees sold for their products.
- Responsible for the filing of one of the first complaints in the area of telecommunications in Brazil. The firm obtained a decision that forced the continuance of a service agreement that was unreasonably terminated by a great telecommunication corporation.
- Representing one of the major Brazilian airlines, in a case involving the withholding of its assets by the labor justice, the firm obtained an important decision before the Brazilian High Federal Court, that declared uneffective every freezing of assets previously issued by the labor justice, due to conflict of jurisdiction with the state court responsible for the insolvency/reorganization of the company.
- Representing one of the most important former local soccer players, the firm achieved an important victory in Labor Justice, guaranteeing a series of unpaid benefits from his last club.
- Representing one of the heirs of one of the largest local companies, the firm achieved the invalidation of the succession distributions due to illegalities committed when the estate was distributed. The economic outcome was of over 100 million dollars.